![]()
The annual Ojude Oba Festival will hold in 2026 despite the absence of a newly installed Awujale of Ijebuland, the Awujale Council of Chiefs has said.
The Baagbimo of Ijebu and Secretary of the Awujale Council, Prof. Fassy Yusuf, stated this during an interview on Eagle 102.5 FM’s Frontline programme, dismissing speculations that the cultural festival could be suspended because of the ongoing transition following the death of the Awujale of Ijebuland, Oba Sikiru Adetona.
Yusuf maintained that the festival remained an enduring institution of the Ijebu people and was not tied to the physical presence of a reigning monarch.
He said, “Once again, I confirm to you all and to the whole world that the Ojude Oba festival is holding in May. That’s on May 28 or 29, depending on the signals. We are talking about institutions now, not individuals.”
The council secretary argued that history had shown that the festival could continue even during periods when the throne was vacant or the monarch was unavailable.
According to him, there had been occasions in the past when Ojude Oba was successfully held despite the absence of a reigning king.
“It is inconceivable that anybody will be clamouring for the cancellation of Ojude Oba festival until a new Awujale is installed,” he said.
Yusuf described those calling for the suspension of the festival as individuals attempting to create unnecessary tension around a cultural institution that had survived several transitions in the past.
“All those people talking about cancellation are people that lack self-identity. They are rabble-rousers fishing in troubled waters,” he added.
Citing historical examples, Yusuf recalled that the festival was held in 1959 after the demise of Oba Robertson Adesanya Gbelegbuwa before the installation of Oba Adetona in 1960.
He also noted that the festival held in 1995 when Oba Adetona was critically ill and receiving treatment abroad.
According to him, prominent sons and daughters of Ijebuland stood in for the monarch during that period to ensure continuity of the cultural event.
Yusuf further disclosed that an Awujale Interregnum Administrative Council had already been constituted to oversee affairs during the transition period.
“We have in place Awujale Interregnum Administrative Council. The chairman may not be occupying the seat of Awujale, but he is standing in as acting Awujale,” he said.
On the succession process, Yusuf said the ruling house had complied with the provisions of the Obas and Chiefs Law by forwarding the required documents to the kingmakers.
He, however, explained that the process was temporarily suspended following a directive from the government.
“There was an instruction from the government to suspend action and in obedience, action has been stopped,” he said.
The professor also dismissed allegations of irregularities in the selection process, insisting that no official indictment had been made against anybody involved.
Speaking on preparations for the 2026 edition, Yusuf said various sub committees had been established to handle logistics, security, communication and traffic management to ensure a smooth outing.
“In the last two or three editions, we had challenges due to timing and logistics. So, we set up sub committees to handle security, communication, traffic and safety,” he said.
He assured residents and visitors that the festival would be better organised this year, adding that all financial transactions would go through the palace account under the interregnum council.
“No cash is paid to anybody. Everything goes through the palace account under the interregnum administrative council,” he stated.
Yusuf reaffirmed that the cultural significance of Ojude Oba transcended any individual ruler, stressing that the festival would continue to serve as a symbol of Ijebu identity and heritage.
“Even without an installed Awujale, Ojude Oba will hold. It is not about individuals. It is about continuity, identity and institution,” he said.






















