![]()
Award-winning sports broadcaster and CAF-accredited analyst, Joseph Atewe, has called for the removal of Super Falcons head coach, Justin Madugu, following Nigeria’s quarter-final elimination from the 2026 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco.
Atewe made the call while speaking on Monday as a guest on First Touch, a programme on Eagle 102.5 FM, Ilese-Ijebu, Ogun State, where he blamed both Madugu and the Nigeria Football Federation for the defending champions’ disappointing campaign.
The Super Falcons were eliminated by Cameroon on Sunday after Myriam Maéva Nyadjou scored the only goal of the quarter-final in the 19th minute with a powerful long-range effort that beat goalkeeper Chiamaka Nnadozie.
Reacting to the defeat, Atewe criticised Madugu’s tactical decisions, particularly his failure to introduce some experienced players earlier when Nigeria needed a goal.
“I cannot be one-nil down, looking for a goal. I have players on the bench, knowing that after 90 minutes, it’s all over, I will take my chances,” he said.
The analyst questioned why players with extensive WAFCON experience, including Asisat Oshoala, were left on the bench for much of the encounter before being introduced late in the game.
“What we saw yesterday was a disgrace. You saw a coach who was clueless. You have Oshoala on the bench. You have some key players on the bench. Players that have won at least four WAFCONs to their names on the bench, 72, 82 minutes. You decided to bring them in. For what? Are they designs on the bench?” Atewe queried.
He argued that Madugu’s continued leadership of the team could hinder the Super Falcons from making meaningful progress, insisting that the coach should be replaced.
“First, Justin Madugu has to go if he wants anything meaningful to come out of the Super Falcons,” Atewe said.
According to him, much of the credit enjoyed by Madugu was connected to the foundation laid by former coach Randy Waldrum, whose tactical approach helped Nigeria win the previous WAFCON.
“Left to me, what he has enjoyed so far is based on what Randy Waldrum did with his squad. Waldrum was ruthless and it’s based on what he has done so far,” he said.
Atewe, however, maintained that the coach should not be made the sole scapegoat, accusing the NFF of failing to adequately prepare the team for the tournament.
He said the federation ought to have arranged quality friendly matches that would have exposed the team’s weaknesses before the competition.
“Well, I want to say that this didn’t just start now and that’s the mistake we are making. You know we got to the finals of the WAFCON last year, came back from two goals down. We all praised the girls for doing what they did. We described them as being exceptional but that wasn’t it,” he said.
The analyst said Nigeria’s comeback against Morocco in the previous WAFCON final had masked some of the team’s tactical deficiencies, arguing that individual brilliance played a significant role in the victory.
“It’s not about Morocco being exceptional. There was a problem. The second 45 minutes where we got those three goals was individual brilliance. Those girls came to the party, they wanted to win,” Atewe said.
He called for targeted reforms within Nigerian football rather than the wholesale removal of the NFF, saying the problems affecting the national teams were systemic.
“I do not think total overhaul is the initiative. I think that there should be some changes,” he said.
Atewe also called for a long-term football development plan similar to what Morocco adopted, arguing that sustained investment in youth football, domestic competitions and infrastructure was necessary for Nigeria to regain its position among Africa’s football powers.
He further criticised age cheating in Nigerian youth football, saying the country must establish credible age verification systems and allow young players to develop according to their actual ages.
“Even if they fail, teach them again,” he said.
According to Atewe, poverty and the belief that football is one of the few available routes out of hardship have contributed to the pressure surrounding age-grade football in Nigeria.
He said Nigeria must build a proper pathway through which players can progress from youth teams to the senior national teams without manipulating their ages.
The analyst also called for the commercialisation and improved television coverage of the Nigeria Premier Football League, saying better facilities and regular broadcasting would attract sponsors and improve the league’s financial prospects.
“We need to see these things on screen, otherwise the returning Nigerian football league…” he said.
Atewe’s comments came as concerns continue to mount over Nigeria’s football development, following the Flying Eagles’ 4-1 defeat to Burkina Faso in the final of the 2026 WAFU Zone B U-20 Championship.
The defeat means Nigeria will miss the 2027 Africa U-20 Cup of Nations and the 2027 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Azerbaijan.
Meanwhile, the Super Falcons will face South Africa on Thursday in a crucial fixture for a place in the inter-confederation play-offs for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup.























